During the summer, when the temperatures are very high, it can be quite steamy inside the house. If you don’t have an AC system in your home and are considering getting one, you have several options. One of them is a window air conditioner.
However, not every room has a window, so the question is whether a window air conditioner can be installed in a room without a window? In this article, we’ll talk about that. So, let’s start!
Can You Use a Window AC Without a Window? No, window air conditioner units are specifically designed to operate mounted in a window. That’s because they need an opening to the outside where they expel warm air and water that is created during the cooling process.
If your room does not have a window, and you need one to install a window air conditioner, there are some methods that you can apply to solve this issue. One way is to drill a hole in the wall, while another option is to get a portable AC. Read on to find out which option is best for your situation.
Table of Contents
How To Install A Window AC Without A Window?
Every larger room should have a heating and cooling device. The Window AC system can be installed in every room, even those without windows. However, for this task, you need to cut an opening in the wall to expel warm air outside. In this section, we’ll explain how to do this.
Through the Wall Air Conditioner
There are air conditioners that can be installed through the wall. They are slightly different from classic window AC units because they come with a steel sleeve that is placed inside the wall. Then the air conditioner is placed so that it slides into these sleeves. If you already have a window AC unit, you can install it that way.
1. Installation Process: First, it is necessary to make an opening in the wall that corresponds in size to the AC unit and the base on which the AC unit will be placed. The installation procedure is almost identical to air conditioners installed through the wall. The only difference is that you won’t need side panels in this case.
2. Place of Installation For A Wall AC: It is important to install the wall AC unit so that you have good airflow in the room through the vents. It is therefore recommended that the wall in which you will make the opening is not too thick. If you choose a good position for the unit, with the help of wall AC, you can cool any space, from the basement to the bedroom.
3. Additional Tips: When installing the wall AC unit, it is good to position it with a slight outward slope. This way, you will ensure that no condensation drips back into your living space.
4. Make it Airtight: Once you have passed the pipe from the AC unit through the hole and placed it in an adequate position, you should pay special attention to sealing the hole. Otherwise, cold air from outside may enter your home on windy winter days. For a solid seal, you can use expanding foam or caulk.
5. Aesthetic Decoration: After you’ve done the hardest part and your AC unit is firmly in place, it’s a good idea to make the opening pleasing to the eye. You can make a frame around the opening, sand it, and paint it.
6. Pros and Cons: The big advantage of this venture is that you can solve the cooling problem in your home in the long term because the AC unit with the hot air outlet through the hole in the wall is a good solution for many years to come.
However, it is not cheap, which is its main con. It is recommended that the AC system be installed in this case by a HAVC specialist, which means that you will have to spend up to $500 for this job.
For those who already have an AC unit in their home, but have problems with noise, be sure to read How To Quiet a Noisy Air Conditioner?
Reasons Not To Install A Window AC Without a Window
Window AC units should not be installed in a room without windows if there is no way to expel the heat outside. The opening should not lead to the room next to doors such as a basement or garage.
The hot air and by-products of cooling one room can cause another room to deteriorate. The walls in it can weaken, which can damage the entire house.
Also, installing a window AC unit in a room without a window is not recommended if your budget does not allow you to hire a professional for this undertaking.
Although it seems easy, properly installing a window AC unit through an opening in the wall is not exactly a walk in the park. The person who performs this work must have a lot of experience so that the connections do not break later.
Can You Install A Window AC In A Sliding Window?
Most window air conditioners are designed to fit into double-hung windows, and installing them on a sliding window is not recommended. However this can be done, but this will also limit how you use the window.
If you opt for this task, the most important thing is to properly measure the window’s dimensions and the AC unit and match them.
Next, make a frame for the unit, which you can easily do from four wooden slats. Before you start placing your air conditioner into the sliding window, ensure all the parts are in place. Place the wooden frame in the appropriate place around the AC unit, and close the opening on the frame with a chipboard panel of appropriate dimensions.
Can A Portable AC Be Used In A Room That Has No Window?
Unline a window AC unit, a portable air conditioner is designed so that it can be easily used in any room, even if it does not have a window. As this device is so light, you can easily move it from one place to another. For example, cool your living room or office during the day and your bedroom at night.
But, of course, it is necessary to expel the heat from the device outside. This can easily be done through smaller openings in the room, such as an open slope window, or even through a tiny opening in the door. To properly use this device indoors, here are some tips:
- You should place the intake hose so that it is at least 20 meters away from any source of the odor or any outside vent spot. If you don’t do this, with cold air, various odors, and airborne bacteria could For Cooling A Roomenter your house.
- In order to avoid interruption of cooling due to clogging, the exhaust hose should not touch other surfaces, the floor, or the ceiling. It is recommended to be at least 8 inches from any nearby barriers.
Here is one interesting video you should watch before buying a portable AC unit.
Alternative Solution For Cooling A Room Without AC
If you have considered all the listed options for cooling the room and none of them suit you, you have one more option to cool your room, and that’s with the help of evaporative air coolers.
However, you must remember that this device raises the humidity level in the air, and their use is not recommended if you already have problems in a house with high humidity.
These devices work on the principle of cooling water evaporation, which then cools the room in which it is located. They are ideal if you want to cool a room where the air is very dry.
However, some models of evaporative coolers do not increase the humidity in the air during operation, so this option should not be excluded even if you have a problem with excessive humidity in the house.
How To Improve Air Circulation In A Room Without Windows?
If you need a device that will primarily improve air circulation in a room without windows, you don’t have to struggle to find an AC unit that can fit into a space with no window.
Instead of an AC device, you can install a ceiling fan or place a portable fan in the right location. Also, in addition to the already mentioned AC unit options, you can consider installing a ductless AC mini-split unit.
Related article: How to Repair Window & Room Air Conditioners?
FAQ: People Also Ask
Can a window AC unit be used inside?
Window AC units can work well inside, but you have to adapt the way of installation and use for such a thing. It is necessary to provide an alternative outlet for hot air and place the device in a good position.
Can I use my portable air conditioner without a window?
Portable AC units are made so that you can use them in any room, even if it has no window. These cooling devices do not need to be connected to a wall or a window. However, you should provide at least a small opening for hot air drainage.
What happens if you run a window AC, not in a window?
Without adapting the device, you cannot install the AC window unit on another surface and expect it to work. There is no way to ensure hot air drain out if all parts are not connected as they should be. The device will not work well or pollute the air in your room.
Even if you don’t have a window in the room, you can install a window AC unit. However, to do this successfully, you need to make an opening in the wall so you can expel the heat outside. You must know that once you make that opening in the wall, there is no going back.
So think carefully if you want to go that way. Fortunately, there are alternatives for cooling rooms without windows. Portable AC units and evaporative coolers are also options that you can consider. Also, if you’re happy with improving air circulation, there’s always a good old ceiling fan.