With an LCD TV, you can watch your favorite movies, cartoons, and series in excellent quality with high definition and good sound. However, owners of LCD monitors may encounter the problem of dark spots appearing on their screens. Although it can be scary at first, this is not always the case. Let’s take a closer look at the reasons for their appearance and what are the best solutions to repair them. So, let’s start!
Table of Contents
What Causes Dark (Black) Spots on TV Screen?
So What Causes Dark Spots on TV Screen? Dark (black) spots on LCD TVs are typically caused by either debris or superficial dirt, a dead pixel, or a stuck pixel. Of all these problems, the easiest problem to fix is debris or superficial dirt. On the contrary, stuck pixels are harder to fix, while dead pixels are the hardest problem to fix.
After a few years of using the TV, it is not unusual for black spots to appear on the TV screen. Although this can be scary, the problem can sometimes be easy to solve, while in some cases, you’ll need to get a new TV. Most of the time, the problem lies in debris or a dead pixel that must be replaced.
We recommend that if your TV is already broken and you need to buy a new one, the Sony 32 Inch 720p HD LED will do the job. (This TV provides high quality, and you will not have problems with black spots)
It is very often that dark spots appear on LCD TV screens, including popular brands such as Samsung, Sony, LG, and others. They can be localized in one corner, centered, or in several places simultaneously.
Spots do not disappear when switching channels. Even when your TV is off, you can notice that glare is visible in their place. Moreover, blackouts can be black, dark gray, white, or colored. This most likely indicates color errors or other problems.
Did you know that White Spots Can Also Appear on TV? To learn more about them, read the article I linked above.
Causes of Dark Spots:
- Manufacturing defects. It is quite rare and manifests itself immediately. The reason is a violation of the assembly technology, leading to damage to the display matrix. The specialists of the warranty service center should eliminate such a malfunction free of charge. And to not buy a bad TV, you need to examine the equipment in the store carefully.
- Mechanical damage. An especially common reason is when there are children in the house playing with a ball in the apartment. A strong blow or pressure will stain the CRT. Broken pixels first appear in the affected area then spread across the screen.
- Ingress of moisture or air under the protective glass. The reason is poor transportation or improper care. Do not wipe the monitor with water or a heavily dampened cloth.
- The effect of high temperature. The presence of a heat source near the device leads to various malfunctions, including the appearance of yellow spots due to the delamination of the matrix.
- Dust is getting under the case. If you take care of household appliances incorrectly, one small black dot can develop into a large dark spot, which only the masters of the SC (service center) can remove.
Equipment repair depends on the stain’s source and type of equipment.
How to Eliminate Incorrect TV Settings
Before trying to disassemble an LCD TV or hand it over to a service center, it is worth excluding software failures that are possible with digital broadcasting. The test schemes for Samsung, Sony, and LG are common. There may be some nuances depending on the TV model.
To eliminate software problems when using a digital broadcast set-top box, do the following:
- Save all the information from the tuner to a USB stick.
- Go to the menu using the console from the console.
- Find the “Settings” or “Factory data reset” section.
- Drop the parameters to the factory settings. If necessary, enter the pin code 0000, 1111, 1234.
- Restart the STB.
- Go to settings and re-run the automatic channel search.
If the black spots on your LCD TV screen disappear, the cause is likely a software failure. In such a situation, it is not necessary to disassemble or repair the device in the service. If the malfunction remains, it is better to contact a professional to repair an expensive modern TV.
If you’re looking for a new TV, we recommend this TV model: LG 32LM570BPUA 32″.
Cleaning the Screen Protector Glass Surface
One of the reasons for the appearance of spots in the external adhesion of dirt, dust. In such a situation, it is not necessary to disassemble the equipment or reboot it. It is enough to wash the screen surface. For this:
- Disconnect equipment. Disconnect it from the network to be sure.
- Purchase a special cleaner for LCD monitors.
- Take a soft microfiber cloth.
- Apply a small amount to it.
- Wash the screen without pressing hard.
It is advisable to do such care 2 times a week. This will save your TV, and it will last longer.
How to Get Rid of Dark Stains Due to Moisture Penetration
If a defect appears due to water ingress, rinse the matrix. This requires a special detergent. Running water is not suitable. It contains a large number of invisible impurities and abrasive particles that will settle on the matrix and make the situation even worse.
Cleaning should be done in a well-ventilated area with good ventilation to remove dark spots from the TV matrix. It is advisable to turn on a humidifier, if available. Use soft cotton gloves to clean.
Important! If the die is broken, it must be replaced. And this can only be done in a professional workshop or service center.
If you wish, you can replace yourself if you have the skills to work with household television appliances. The repair instructions are as follows:
- Prepare your work area and all necessary screwdrivers and other tools.
- Disconnect the TV. Use a screwdriver to remove all bolts to remove the housing.
- Disconnect the wires and cables. Try to do this as carefully as possible. If some elements are damaged, they will also have to be replaced.
- Unscrew the bolts holding the die. Do this carefully and replace it with a new one.
- Assemble the TV in reverse order. Switch on and check the correct operation.
Important! If the TV is still under warranty, you do not need to disassemble it yourself. After any of your interventions, the warranty card will expire. And the repairs will be carried out for you free of charge or with a big discount and at the service center.
How to Get Rid of Dust Spots
Rarely wiping the surface from dirt and dust leads to the ingress of microparticles on the matrix. Over time, a large dark spot is born from a small black dot. With the following actions, you can save your TV from manifestations:
- Tap your finger very gently on the screen’s surface where the small black dot appears.
- Try vacuuming the screen. You can do this from a distance of 2-5 cm from the screen.
- Disassemble the device and wipe the inside of the screen. The matrix can also be wiped from dust (for this, you need to be very careful).
If the dark spots have not disappeared after all the manipulations, the Sony, Samsung, or any other manufacturer’s TV must be carried to the workshop for a full diagnosis and repair.
Also, if you are interested on how to properly clean your TV, be sure to watch this YouTube video:
When it is Necessary to Carry the Device to The Masters
If a dark (black) spot appears due to moisture or dust, you can easily fix this problem by yourself. If on the other hand, streaks appeared due to mechanical stress or strong exposure to high temperatures, which in most cases led to matrix delamination or failure of loops, then it is necessary to carry that equipment to the workshop.
Here is also one good TV that is also affordable: SAMSUNG 32-Inch Class QLED Q60C.
The service center specialist will carry out the repairs to your TV in the following sequence:
- Accept the equipment and write out a ticket that you have handed it over.
- It will carry out diagnostics; often, a PC is used for this to identify the exact causes of the breakdown.
- Will repair parts to be repaired or install new ones.
- He will check the performance of the equipment and write out a new warranty card for his services.
In most cases it takes from 1 to 5 working days to repair and remove dark spots on a TV screen, depending on the workload of the wizard and the availability of parts in the service. The cost of repairs depends on the degree of damage and the price of spare parts.
How to Avoid Dark Spots
Proper care of household appliances is the key to their correct operation for a long time. To avoid the appearance of dark spots and streaks on the screen of a plasma, liquid crystal TV, follow these recommendations:
- Place household appliances at a distance of 20 cm or more from a heat source: radiator battery, heater, fireplace.
- Place the TV on a stand. On the floor, the equipment will be blown through, and a temperature drop will result, which is harmful for LCD TV.
- Wipe off dust with a dry microfiber cloth. You can use special brooms or surface cleaners without abrasive particles.
- Do not overheat the equipment. TVs can work around the clock, which negatively affects their performance, color rendition, and image playback speed.
Related Article: What Causes White Spots or Dots on TV Screen?
FAQ: People Also Ask
What causes dark shadows on TV?
Dead or stuck pixels can emerge on the display due to dead pixels that either don’t light up or get fixed on a specific color. Pixel malfunction often occurs from manufacturing flaws, physical damage, or extended use. The TV’s age, exposure to heat, and surrounding humidity can also play roles in this issue.
Can dark spot in TV be fixed?
TV screens can have dead pixels, which are internal issues beyond regular repair. Typically, addressing this problem would mean replacing the entire screen. However, it’s not as simple as just removing the old screen and installing a new one.
What causes TV ghosting?
TV ghosting refers to a duplicated image that appears slightly offset from the main image on the screen. This phenomenon usually occurs when the TV signal takes two separate routes to the receiving antenna, resulting in a minor timing difference.
How does a manufacturer defect cause a black spot?
Black spots can emerge as a result of assembly defects. They might not manifest right away but can eventually lead to damage to the display matrix.
Taking care of your LCD or plasma TV in this way will save you from the appearance of dark spots on the screen. Try to avoid mechanical damage. Explain to the children that technology is not a toy. And enjoy digital TV for years on end.
Light, colored spots and streaks are removed by other methods. General repair method only in cases of software failure. Therefore, if any screen defects appear, just try to completely restart the equipment and reset the router to factory settings.